Thursday, December 17, 2009

my love and life for the past couple months

I have successfully finished directing my first play! It is a pretty good feeling, I'm not going to lie. The process was pretty exhausting both emotionally and time-wise. (hence why I haven't blogged in a month!) But through this process I have learned so much about myself as an artist and person, and how
"...sometimes it's necessary to go a long distance out of the way in order to come back a short distance correctly."  

After each show, there was a talk back session. As people told what they saw in the show and how it affected them I was so surprised at how different each person's experience was. (This is one of my greatest loves with art and theater: There is no one correct answer.) Listening to their thoughts and responses about the show, was when I really felt success. I hope that their exposure with the play has become a learning experience. I just want to share a quote from the playwright himself:

"One must let the play happen to one; one must let the mind loose to respond as it will, to receive impressions, to sense rather than know, to gather rather than immediately understand." 
-Edward Albee

No comments: