Thursday, February 12, 2009

Elevators with Attitude

I just want to share something with you that has been taunting me lately. Some days I am on campus from 9 AM to 8 PM. In between those hours, I am either in class, at work, or meeting with teachers or other peers about projects and homework and such. The point I'm trying to make is that I am busy and sometimes haphazardly running around all over campus.

Now to the point of this post:

What I don't like is this: When I am making my way to an elevator to take me up a few flights of stairs when I see the dreadful little sign. The sign has a picture of a little heart and says "For your heart's sake, take the stairs!" This sign never fails to make me feel guilty! I always have to justify in my mind that I need to take the elevator (either to save time or energy). It's not that I'm lazy, it just that I do get tired by the end of day from running around. I am so affected by this little sign that even when I get to an elevator without the sign, I ask myself if I really need to use the elevator instead of the stairs!

I'm just sick of elevators making me feel guilty!

2 comments:

Meagan said...

Those signs were designed by public health majors like me to MAKE you feel guilty. But someone like you who is running around all day doesn't really need to take the stairs. It's more for the older people who sit at their desks all day and don't do anything active at all!

Kathleen said...

I totally agree, julie...hate those signs...i'm sure i have talked back to the elevators once or twice (in my head, of course)...then joyfully pushed the elvator button.