Wednesday, February 18, 2009

My first time donating plasma!

For the first time, I donated my plasma! Andrew's brother, Matthew went with me to donate. We both needed money, and I didn't want to go alone. Although, after the waiting, Matthew wasn't even able to donate because he was dehydrated!

So, yesterday I spent a good 3 1/2 hours in a Plasma donating center. I sat and waited for about 3 hours, while they let all the more experienced people go in front of me. Over the course of time I was there I watched Tommy Boy, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, and Zoolander. They would call me up every so often to poke my finger, give me a physical, ask me medical questions, etc. 

Finally I was hooked up to the machine! At that point I was so annoyed that I had been there for so long, I wasn't very scared at all. I just looked away as he slid the needle right into my vein. (I pride myself on my large veins-I never have to be poked twice!) The first part of the "cycle" felt normal. I'm used to giving blood so this part was not at all different. However, the second part was a little strange. The second part of the cycle is when the red blood cells are being returned to you. It was so much blood going in my arm so fast, it made my fingers and hand numb. I, feeling a little anxious about this feeling, asked if it was normal. It was. 
So I was finished in about 40 minutes and was then given my $30! So in all, even though I spent 3 1/2 hours there, i was paid $8.50 an hour - which is more than I make at my job!

 Yippee! 

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

I got so completely nauseous reading this! Your new blog background is adorable. :)